SUMMER SALE: 10% off Bristol, Manchester & London with code GBSUMMER

Skip to main content

Hire a campervan in the UK

There’s a reason so many people flock to the UK to spend time road-tripping around the country! Whether you’re looking for history, adventure, cosy towns and villages, or just to fill your camera roll with beautiful pictures. Hire a campervan in the UK and explore ancient castles, relax on the beach, hike the hill country, and fall in love with the regional differences that make it such a diverse and interesting place to travel. Fuel yourself at traditional village pubs or stock up on local produce and whip up a culinary masterpiece in your campervan rental. Book today and set off on your dream road trip around the UK!

roadsurfer campers in the UK

  • 4
  • 4

Surfer Suite VW T6.1 California Ocean campervan

  • 150 hp diesel
  • Integrated kitchenette
  • Outdoor shower (cold)
  • Automatic pop-up roof
  • Park-assist and rear camera
  • Cruise and distance control ACC, GPS
  • 4
  • 2+2

Family Finca Motorhome with a fixed high roof (600)

  • 177 hp diesel
  • spacious kitchen area
  • Indoor shower/wet room (warm)
  • WC
  • Fixed high roof
  • Parking assistance, rear camera, Tempomat, etc.
  • 4
  • 2

Couple Cottage Motorhome without a pop-up roof (600)

  • 130 hp diesel
  • spacious kitchen area
  • Indoor shower/wet room (warm)
  • WC
  • without pop-up roof
  • Parking assistance & tempomat
  • 4
  • 4

Road House Motorhome with pop-up roof (540)

  • 140 hp diesel
  • spacious kitchen area
  • Indoor shower/wet room (warm)
  • WC
  • Manual pop-up roof
  • Parking assistance, rear camera, Tempomat, etc.

Your roadsurfer perks

Unlimited mileage

Free 2nd driver included

Rebook or cancel with the Flex option up to 48 hours before departure

Roadside assistance

Free camping equipment and kitchen utensils included

Discover all your advantages

Your road trip in the UK

The UK is an excellent option for a road trip in a campervan hire. Camping is a popular holiday choice, meaning that campsites are well-established and come with a wide range of offerings, from laundry and playgrounds to a private spot in the forest with nothing but the sound of nature around you. Driving here is easy (as long as you remember to stay on the left!), and you won’t have to spend hours on the road if you’d prefer to stick to one region as there’s so much to do. If you’d like a taste of tradition, find out what local events are on during your stay and experience cheese rolling, fire festivals, and the best food and drink the region can provide.

Driving in the UK

Road rules are the same across England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

  • The key to driving safely in the UK is to drive on the left-hand side of the road! If you can stick to that rule, you’ve got 90% of it correct. Drivers turning left have priority, and make sure to turn left and drive clockwise around roundabouts. On these, drivers coming from the right have priority, and so will you once you’re on the roundabout.
  • The speed limit is generally 60mph on single carriage roads, 70mph on dual carriageways or motorways, and 30mph in urban areas, although pay attention to the speed limit signs (circular, with a red border) for localised differences. A white circular sign with a black diagonal line means that the current speed limit has returned to the previously mentioned national speed limits.
  • Don’t undertake on the motorway! Only pass on the right, and make sure to use the left-hand land as much as possible; the middle and right-hand lane are for passing slower vehicles.
  • The UK is home to some very narrow roads, usually leading somewhere special. There will be passing spaces at regular intervals, make sure to only pull into those on the left side of the road.

Camping in the UK

You’ll find almost every type of campsite in the UK. Wild camping is allowed in Scotland only, but there are plenty of campsites in England and Wales that are as close-to-nature as they come.

  • Wild Camping – is legal in Scotland only. Don’t park up for the night in laybys, fields, or access roads, and pay attention to signage about camping in other places.
  • Camping and Caravanning Club Campsites – these  campsites are run individually but are all part of the Club and therefore have a similar standard of facilities. They might not be as quirky or a hidden in nature as some truly independent campsites, but you know you’ll be getting good bathrooms and laundry facilities when you stay at one. They’re not member-exclusive, anyone can stay at a Club campsite, but membership provides discounts if you’re a frequent camper.
  • Independent Campsites – there are thousands of campsites across the UK, and what you get varies from site to site. Facilities differ if you’re not staying at a site that is under a membership body like the Camping and Caravanning Club: some offer a more glamping experience, some are themed and have events and food at the weekend, and some are extremely basic in order to give you a wild camping experience in a place where it isn’t legal.

Events & festivals in the UK

There are plenty of events and festivals in the UK that are perfect for campervan enthusiasts. Check out our guide to fesitvals and events in the UK to learn more.


Please note that the minimum rental age requirements vary depending on the rental country. Here’s an overview:

United Kingdom: Drivers must be at least 25 years old and have two years of licensed driving experience (driver´s licence class 3 or class B)

USA, Canada, and Ireland: Drivers must be at least 21 years old and have one year of licensed driving experience (driver´s licence class 3 or class B)

Europe (not including Ireland): Drivers must be at least 18 years old and have one year of licensed driving experience (driver´s licence class 3 or class B)

For all UK registered renters, a driver license check is compulsory at the time of pick-up at one of our UK stations in order to be fully covered by our insurance package.

If you are registered in the UK and have more than 6 points on your driving license and/or with specific past driving convictions you will not be able to drive our vehicles.

For this purpose, if you are renting in the UK you will need to provide the following:

  • Driving license number
  • Address information (As displayed on Driver’s license)
  • National Insurance ID

You can enter the required information on the website in advance and generate a check code and show it at the time of pick-up at the station. Please note that this code is only valid for 21 days.

Drivers with a driver’s licence from other European countries picking up our vehicles in any UK station are not subject to the driver licence check.

You’ll need a VE103 vehicle on hire certificate to show you’re allowed to use a hired or leased vehicle if you’re driving it abroad. Read more on GOV.UK article “Taking a vehicle out of the UK: For Less than 12 months”.

You can get a VE103 for a fee from the:

  • AA
  • British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association (BVRLA)
  • RAC Motoring Services
  • Road Haulage Association (RHA)

Our campervan rentals in Europe and North America are pet-friendly and can be booked for you and your furry companion. Please note that there is an additional one-time dog fee that needs to be paid during the booking process.

Please remember to bring the following documents when you come to pick up your roadsurfer:

  • Identity card or passport of all drivers
  • Driving license of all drivers
  • VISA or Mastercard (credit or debit) for the deposit (with sufficient funds and please do not forget the PIN). If necessary, payment can also be made by EC card at German stations. You can find more information here.
  • If you are a British citizen, you will need to provide a driver license check. Find out more on GOV.UK.

The minimum rental period for our campervans and motorhomes is three days, applicable throughout the year, regardless of the season.

Hire a campervan in the UK

Book now