Skip to main content

What driving licence do you need to drive a campervan or motorhome?

A class B driving licence is required to drive our campervan or motorhome rentals. If you are hiring a campervan or motorhome in the UK, Ireland, Canada, or the U.S., you must be at least 21 years old and have possessed your driving licence for more than one year. When renting a vehicle in Europe, the minimum age requirement is 18 years old. It’s important to remember that your licence should also allow you to drive a car weighing up to 3.5 tonnes.

What factors should I take into account for road trips abroad?

  • All renters with a driving licence from an EU member state or the EEA (European Economic Area) enjoy unrestricted driving privileges within the EU / EEA.
  • English driving licences (following Brexit) will still be acknowledged in the EU / EEA.
  • EU / EEA driving licences are also accepted without an international driving licence in the subsequent countries: Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Bosnia-Herzegovina, UK, Serbia, Switzerland, and Albania.
  • Important: The same conditions apply to every registered additional driver.

When is an international driving licence required?

  • An international driving licence is necessary if the driving licence is not issued in a member state of the European Union (EU) or a state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA).

What is an international driving licence?

  • The international driving licence is not an independent driving permit; rather, it serves as a supplementary document.
  • It is only valid when used alongside the original national driving licence.
  • It serves as a form of translation for the national driving licence.

What regulations are relevant when renting a vehicle in the USA?

  • As a non-US citizen, it is important to have both your domestic and international driver’s licences in your possession

What regulations are relevant when renting a vehicle in the UK?

For all UK registered renters, a driving licence check is compulsory at the time of pick-up at one of our UK stations in order to be fully covered by our travel protection package.

If you are registered in the UK and have more than 6 points on your driving licence and/or with specific past driving convictions you will not be able to drive our vehicles.

For this purpose, if you are renting in the UK you will need to provide the following:

  • Driving licence number
  • Address information (As displayed on Driver’s licence)
  • National Insurance ID

You can enter the required information on the website in advance and generate a check code and show it at the time of pick-up at the station.

Drivers with a driver’s licence from other European countries picking up our vehicles in any UK station are not subject to the driver licence check.

Have more questions?

Visit the Help Centre