The Early Bird Catches the Best Savings!
Make lifetime memories in 2024! Register now for your Early Bird discount and enjoy the biggest savings and unbeatable prices. Explore new horizons at at one of our new locations or discover the wonders right at home.
Hire a motorhome in California
California might be the original road trip destination, which makes it the perfect place to explore with an RV rental. With the dazzling Pacific coastline on one side and breathtaking mountain ranges on the other, this state has something for every type of traveller. Feel the pulsating energy of LA, cruise around vibrant surf towns, explore famous national parks and visit world-class wine regions. With roadsurfer locations in both San Francisco and Los Angeles, you’re spoilt for choice when it comes to motorhome hire in California.
roadsurfer motorhome & RV fleet in California
Whether you’re road tripping with your partner, family or friends, roadsurfer has a range of motorhomes and RV hires in California to suit your needs. From compact yet roomy campervans like the Couple Condo to off-road RVs that can tackle any terrain, we have motorhomes for every type of adventure–all of which are modern, spacious and equipped with everything necessary for the perfect US road trip!
Your roadsurfer advantages
Free 2nd driver included
Rebook or cancel with the Flex option up to 48 hours before departure
Free camping equipment and kitchen utensils included
Your road trip in California
Hire a campervan in California today and experience the magic of the Golden State. Marvel at the iconic Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, soak in the bohemian vibes of Venice Beach in Los Angeles or traverse the magnificent Yosemite National Park with its towering sequoias and stunning waterfalls. Don’t miss iconic drives like Highway 1 along the Pacific Coast or the legendary Route 66. When it comes to motorhome hire in California, you’ll never run out of things to see and do!
Driving in California
Driving in California may feel quite different for those hailing from overseas, but don’t let that put you off! Keep in mind the following tips when renting an RV in California and you’ll be fine.
- Right hand side driving: You’ll be driving on the right-hand side of the road in California and the US, which means you’ll be overtaking on the left.
- Speed limits: The speed limits are shown in miles and vary depending on the road type. On most city streets, the speed limit is usually 25-30 mph, while on the freeways it can range from 55-70 mph.
- Diamond lanes: A diamond lane or carpool lane is reserved for vehicles with two or more occupants. Driving in this lane as a single occupant can result in staggeringly-high fines, so make sure to follow the signs!
- Aircraft radars: Cruising an open road with no radar detection signs or police in sight? Don’t speed! Highway patrol officers in California use aircraft to catch speeders from above, so keep an eye on your speedometer at all times!
Camping in California
Camping in California with an RV rental unlocks a world of unparalleled natural beauty and ultimate freedom. Here’s a glimpse into what awaits you:
- Wild camping: With its plethora of national forests and Bureau of Land Management areas, California allows “dispersed camping” or “wild camping” in select areas. This is a unique opportunity to truly immerse yourself in nature away from the crowds.
- Types of camping: Options range from developed campgrounds, which provide amenities like restrooms, picnic tables and fire rings to semi-developed campgrounds offering a more rustic experience. You’ll also find private RV parks which come with facilities like Wi-Fi, laundry and even swimming pools.
- May Grey, June Gloom: California’s coastal regions can experience overcast skies and cool breezes during May and June. Be prepared for these weather conditions if planning to camp on the coast.
- Respecting locals: Always ensure you follow the principle of “Leave No Trace” by disposing of waste properly, respecting wildlife and leaving what you find. Remember to keep noise levels down (especially after quiet hours) to maintain harmony with locals and other campers.
Popular events & festivals in California
- The Rose Parade (January): A cherished California tradition since 1890, the Rose Parade dazzles spectators in Pasadena with intricately-decorated floats, spirited marching bands and high-stepping equestrian shows.
- Coachella (April): An annual music and arts festival held in Indio, Coachella is renowned worldwide for featuring a diverse array of famous and upcoming musicians, artists and gourmet cuisine.
- BottleRock Napa Valley (May): A three-day music, wine and culinary festival in the heart of California’s wine country, BottleRock Napa Valley boasts a line-up of world-class musicians and chefs
- San Diego Comic-Con International (July): Comic-Con is the ultimate event for pop culture enthusiasts, featuring celebrity panels, screenings and exclusive previews of upcoming movies, TV shows, video games and more!
- Outside Lands (August): Held in the scenic Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, Outside Lands is a vibrant fusion of music, art and gourmet food that draws attendees from across the globe.
Most beautiful places to visit in California
- Yosemite National Park: Home to vast meadows, towering granite cliffs and breathtaking waterfalls, Yosemite National Park is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. Don’t miss out on viewing the iconic Half Dome and El Capitan or immersing yourself in the beauty of Yosemite Valley.
- San Francisco: With its iconic Golden Gate Bridge, historic cable cars and bustling Fisherman’s Wharf, San Francisco is a city that captivates its visitors. Be sure to stroll around the lively neighbourhood of Chinatown and take a ferry ride to the infamous Alcatraz Island.
- Los Angeles: Known for its Mediterranean climate, diversity and the entertainment industry, Los Angeles is one city you can’t miss. Explore the Hollywood Walk of Fame or simply relax on the Santa Monica Pier.
- Big Sur: A marvel of the Pacific Coast, Big Sur affords dramatic ocean views and a rugged coastline. Take a drive along the scenic Highway 1, stop by the historic Point Sur Lighthouse or take a hike through its majestic redwood forests.
- Sequoia National Park: Home to the world’s largest trees, Sequoia National Park is a must-visit. Marvel at the colossal General Sherman Tree and check out the underground wonders of Crystal Cave.
When to visit California
The ideal time to explore California with your motorhome rental depends largely on your preferred destinations and activities. However, spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November) are considered the best times to visit. These seasons offer moderate weather, less crowds and stunning natural hues. Whether you’re exploring the majestic coastline or venturing into mountainous terrains, these periods are perfect for RV hire in California.
Travel requirements for travelling to California
When travelling to California, European and British citizens need a valid passport and an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) to enter the country. An ESTA can be easily obtained online and is valid for 2 years, allowing multiple entries into the US.