Hire a camper in Bilbao
Hiking in green mountains in the morning, feasting on freshly caught tuna at lunchtime and relaxing on surfer beaches in the afternoon? You can do that – in and around Bilbao! The largest city in the Basque Country offers you an incredible variety of possibilities! Bilbao impresses with history, art and culture. The city is embedded in the fascinating landscape of northern Spain!
You can pick up your camper here in Bilbao
Using public transportation to our roadsurfer station
Best route from main station: If you are coming to the station by train you have to get off in Derio stop. Turn right, cross the pedestrian crossing and you will see the “Inbisa” sign which is in an industrial park. Keep walking until you reach the numbers 12-13 – roadsurfer Derio.
Best route from airport: If you want to take the bus from the airport, you have to take the one that goes to “Mungialde etorbidea 1 Derio”. Once you are in Derio, it’s just 5 minutes walking. You will see a roundabout you have to cross. Then turn left until you see the “Inbisa” and keep walking until numbers 12-13.
Parking in Bilbao
There is a parking spot in front of the roadsurfer station.
Rent a roadsurfer Campervan in Bilbao now
Longing for an adventure with your loved ones or your beloved dog? Roadsurfer has many different camper models to suit you and your needs. Check out which models are waiting for you in Bilbao:
Your roadsurfer advantages
2nd driver included
Free rebooking and cancellation up to 48h before the trip
Road assistance and comprehensive insurance
Rent a camper and explore Bilbao
Your sightseeing tour of Bilbao should start at the futuristic-looking Guggenheim Museum – the city’s architectural landmark! From there, stroll along the river Ría de Bilbao and glide over the water on the Puente de Vizkaya on the world’s oldest floating ferry. Later, in the medieval old town of Siete Callas, don’t miss the artistically arranged tapas called Pintxos and the typical Txakoli wine in one of the many pintxos bars! You will have a great view of Bilbao when you take the Funicular de Artxanda cable car up to the city’s local mountain. And if you want to experience real Basque national pride, make sure you visit San Mamés, the stadium of Athletic Bilbao! If you prefer quieter sounds, why not treat yourself to an evening of opera or ballet at the magnificent Arriaga Theatre? The next day, rent a bike in Bilbao and go to the beaches of Playa de Sopelana or Playa Arrietara and enjoy a beautiful sunset with a glass of tinto de verano!
Exploring Bilbao and its surroundings means
- Immerse yourself in a world between Basque tradition and futuristic architecture in Bilbao
- Swimming, surfing or paragliding on the beaches of Sopela against a backdrop of dramatic cliffs
- Feast in one of the many Sagardotegia houses in the area! Regional, rustic cuisine and freshly tapped cider are waiting for you!
- Get to know Basque traditions – including their own language, traditional dances and folklore music
roadsurfer Tip: As a home base for your camper, two exciting options are recommended, depending on your interests. If you would like to stay close to Bilbao, the municipal “Autocaravaning Kobetamendi” site on a hill in the west of the city offers you everything you need. If nature and tranquillity are more important to you, then the “Sopelana” campsite, close to the beach of the same name, is your first choice!
Ideas for road trips with a camper from Bilbao
Northern Spain is rougher than the rest of Spain, but that is exactly what makes this region so attractive. The beaches and bays are not overcrowded and attract especially surfers. How about a tour along the wild Atlantic coast with a detour through the mountain villages of the Picos de Europa to Santiago de Compostela? That is of course only one possibility. We have also put together a whole list of ideas for road trips from Bilbao.
- Walk in the footsteps of Francis Drake on a visit to the breathtaking island of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe
- Explore the spiritual heart of the Basque Country in nearby Gernika
- Experience hidden bays, lonely fishing villages and magnificent sunsets on a road trip along the Atlantic coast. (Insider tip: Playa de Galizano and Bufones de Pría)
- Rent a camper in Bilbao and visit cities like San Sebastian or Pamplona
- A hike along the beautiful cliffs near Itxaspe (Flysch hiking route)
- From Bilbao take exciting road trips into the rough mountain world of the Pyrenees
- Stay overnight in mountain villages in the Picos de Europa National Park (tip: Potes) and take the Teleferico from Fuente Dé to reach the snow-covered mountains
- In the caves of Altamira (Cuevas de Altamira) experience the history of our ancestors up close
- Rent a camper in Bilbao and find peace and solitude in Allande in Asturias
- Road trip across the French border to Biarritz or Bayonne and get a taste of French flair
Rent your camper in Bilbao and discover the Basque Country and the fascinating landscape of northern Spain. High mountains and wild coasts are waiting for you.